Scaffolding parts and component details are given below.
- Sole plate.
- Base plate.
- Adjustable base jack.
- Base lift or kicker lift.
- Standards or posts.
- Ledgers or runners.
- Transom or bearer.
- Scaffolding coupler or clamp.
- Scaffold plank.
- top rail
- Mid rail.
- Toe board.
- False upright.
- Drop bar.
- Lifting bag.
- Racker, etc.
Table of Contents
- Sole plate is used for load distributing.
- Large pieces of metal put under the base plate to spread the load over a wide surface area when the scaffold is erected on soft ground.
- Its size must be 300 mm * 300 mm *6 mm.
- Use under every base plate where the foundation surface is soil or on soft ground.
- Use of sole plate if thickness of concrete roof less than 75mm.
- Sole plate is placed under anti slip safety shoe of ladder on soft ground.
- Base plate used for distributed load.
- Small square metal plate that the standard rest on to prevent them to sinking into the ground.
- Size of the base plate must be 150mm * 150 mm * 6 mm.
- It is placed under every scaffold except mobile scaffold (Because mobile scaffold has wheels).
- It has a centre circular spigot (called shunk) at least 75 mm high and circumference of spigot should be equal to 80% of the circumference of pipe so only 20 % margin left there for the free movement of pipe fitted on shunk.
Adjustable base jack:
- Maximum load bearing capacity is 30 kn.
- Lift the jack nut up 2/3rd of its height.
Kicker lift/ Base lift:
The first runner is installed 150mm above the ground surface is called kicker lift or base lift.
- Outer diameter of scaffold pipe is 48.3 mm.
- It is important to check the tube before use.
Example of damaged tubes:
- Flame cut tube.
- Cross cut tube.
- Mushroom head tube.
- Split end tube.
- Bent tube.
- Welded tube.
Standard or post:
- Standard should be perpendicular.
- The whole weight of the scaffold on standard.
- Maximum space between two standard is 2 meters.
Ledgers or runners:
- Ledger should be 180°.
- These are the horizontal members parallel to the wall.
- Ledgers should be fixed inside the standards.
- Only fix clamp used to join standards and ledgers (Because it is a load bearing coupler).
- Two joints of ledgers not come together in same bay.
- Use box clamp to join two ledgers or otherwise use sleeve coupler.
- The vertical distance between two ledgers is not more than 1.8 meters.
- The first ledger known as kicker lift.
- Minimum overhang from standard is 50mm.
- Maximum overhang from standard is 150mm.
Transom or Bearer:
- Transoms are putlogs, but their both ends are supported on the ledgers.
- Place the transom inside the standard and over the ledgers.
- Transom must be fitted with fix clamp.
- Transom pipe is to be installed every 1.5 meter below the platform.
- Minimum over hang from ledger is must be 50mm.
- Maximum over hang from ledger is must be 150mm.
- Minimum overhang from transom is 50mm.
- Plank sit on transom which bear the weight of working platform.
Bracing is a diagonally tube fixed on the standards that make the scaffold structure strong and stable.
Scaffolding coupler or clamp:
Join two scaffold tubes to each other to assemble a scaffold. Some couplers are given below.
Right angle coupler or fix clamp:
- Load capacity of A class is -610kg, B class is -910 kg.
- Join two pipes at 90°.
- Load capacity of A class is 610 kg, and B class is 910 kg.
- Join two pipes in any degrees.
Sleeve coupler or box clamp:
- Load capacity 550kg.
- Load capacity 550kg.
- Load capacity is 565 kg.
Put log coupler:
- Load capacity is 63 kg.
- Load capacity is 3000kg.
- There are 3 sizes are available, such as 50mm, 75mm, 100mm.
- A ladder is a piece of equipment used for climbing up or down.
- Ladder should be projected at least 1.05 meter above the working platform.
- Scaffold plank size must be 2100mm* 280mm *38mm.
- Plank come in three thicknesses such as 38mm, 50mm, 63 mm.
- It should free from defect and corrosions.
- Minimum overhead from transom is 50mm.
- Maximum overhead from transom is 150mm.
- Transom pipe is to be installed every 1.5meter below the platform.
The scaffolding platform has 3 types.
- Service platform.
- Access platform.
- Working platform.
- The top rail height must be 1050 mm. (i.e., 950 mm to 1200 mm).
- Mid rail height must be 525 mm. (i.e., 450mm to 600mm).
- This is a board placed parallel to the ledger and supported between the putlogs.
- Height must be 150 mm.
- It is provided to prevent fall loose material from the platform.
- It is a vertical pipe which is fitted with ledger, mid rail, and top rail.
- Minimum length of false upright should be 1.5 meter.
- It is works like a door or gate.
- Drop bar is fitted in false upright with swivel clamp.
- Gate size must be 1000mm*600mm.
- Polypropylene rope will be used for the lifting up and down the materials.
- Rope used for lifting will be 18mm to 20 mm in diameter.
- Tail rope should be 4.2 meter long.
- Check the rope before use.
- Pulley is used to move material from ground to top or top to ground.
- Safe working load of gin wheel or pulley is 250 kg, but maximum lifting is 25 kg.
- It is divided in to two parts:
- Ring type pulley.
- Hook type pulley.
- It is used for lifting clamps and other materials.
- Lifting capacity of bag is 25 kg.
- Check the lifting bag before use.
- Putlogs are the transverse pieces which are placed on the ledgers and which are supported on the wall at one end.
- They are at right angles to the wall.
This is a piece that is used to bridge an opening in a wall and it supports one end of the putlog of the opening.
Racker is the inclined support.
FAQs for Scaffolding parts?
What are the main parts of scaffolding?
Sole plate.Base plate.Adjustable base jack.Base lift or kicker lift.Tubes.Standards or posts.Ledgers or runners.Transom or bearer.Bracing.Scaffolding coupler or clamp.Ladder.Scaffold plank.Platform.top railMid rail.Toe board.Ladder.False upright.Drop bar.Rope.Pulley.Lifting bag.Putlog.Bridle.Racker, etc