Scaffolding parts and component details are given below.
- Sole plate.
- Base plate.
- Adjustable base jack.
- Base lift or kicker lift.
- Standards or posts.
- Ledgers or runners.
- Transom or bearer.
- Scaffolding coupler or clamp.
- Scaffold plank.
- top rail
- Mid rail.
- Toe board.
- False upright.
- Drop bar.
- Lifting bag.
- Racker, etc.
- Sole plate is used for load distributing.
- Large pieces of metal put under the base plate to spread the load over a wide surface area when the scaffold is erected on soft ground.
- Its size must be 300 mm * 300 mm *6 mm.
- Use under every base plate where the foundation surface is soil or on soft ground.
- Use of sole plate if thickness of concrete roof less than 75mm.
- Sole plate is placed under anti slip safety shoe of ladder on soft ground.
- Base plate used for distributed load.
- Small square metal plate that the standard rest on to prevent them to sinking into the ground.
- Size of the base plate must be 150mm * 150 mm * 6 mm.
- It is placed under every scaffold except mobile scaffold (Because mobile scaffold has wheels).
- It has a centre circular spigot (called shunk) at least 75 mm high and circumference of spigot should be equal to 80% of the circumference of pipe so only 20 % margin left there for the free movement of pipe fitted on shunk.
Adjustable base jack:
- Maximum load bearing capacity is 30 kn.
- Lift the jack nut up 2/3rd of its height.
Kicker lift/ Base lift:
The first runner is installed 150mm above the ground surface is called kicker lift or base lift.
- Outer diameter of scaffold pipe is 48.3 mm.
- It is important to check the tube before use.
Example of damaged tubes:
- Flame cut tube.
- Cross cut tube.
- Mushroom head tube.
- Split end tube.
- Bent tube.
- Welded tube.
Standard or post:
- Standard should be perpendicular.
- The whole weight of the scaffold on standard.
- Maximum space between two standard is 2 meters.
Ledgers or runners:
- Ledger should be 180°.
- These are the horizontal members parallel to the wall.
- Ledgers should be fixed inside the standards.
- Only fix clamp used to join standards and ledgers (Because it is a load bearing coupler).
- Two joints of ledgers not come together in same bay.
- Use box clamp to join two ledgers or otherwise use sleeve coupler.
- The vertical distance between two ledgers is not more than 1.8 meters.
- The first ledger known as kicker lift.
- Minimum overhang from standard is 50mm.
- Maximum overhang from standard is 150mm.
Transom or Bearer:
- Transoms are putlogs, but their both ends are supported on the ledgers.
- Place the transom inside the standard and over the ledgers.
- Transom must be fitted with fix clamp.
- Transom pipe is to be installed every 1.5 meter below the platform.
- Minimum over hang from ledger is must be 50mm.
- Maximum over hang from ledger is must be 150mm.
- Minimum overhang from transom is 50mm.
- Plank sit on transom which bear the weight of working platform.
Bracing is a diagonally tube fixed on the standards that make the scaffold structure strong and stable.
Scaffolding coupler or clamp:
Join two scaffold tubes to each other to assemble a scaffold. Some couplers are given below.
Right angle coupler or fix clamp:
- Load capacity of A class is -610kg, B class is -910 kg.
- Join two pipes at 90°.
- Load capacity of A class is 610 kg, and B class is 910 kg.
- Join two pipes in any degrees.
Sleeve coupler or box clamp:
- Load capacity 550kg.
- Load capacity 550kg.
- Load capacity is 565 kg.
Put log coupler:
- Load capacity is 63 kg.
- Load capacity is 3000kg.
- There are 3 sizes are available, such as 50mm, 75mm, 100mm.
- A ladder is a piece of equipment used for climbing up or down.
- Ladder should be projected at least 1.05 meter above the working platform.
- Scaffold plank size must be 2100mm* 280mm *38mm.
- Plank come in three thicknesses such as 38mm, 50mm, 63 mm.
- It should free from defect and corrosions.
- Minimum overhead from transom is 50mm.
- Maximum overhead from transom is 150mm.
- Transom pipe is to be installed every 1.5meter below the platform.
The scaffolding platform has 3 types.
- Service platform.
- Access platform.
- Working platform.
- The top rail height must be 1050 mm. (i.e., 950 mm to 1200 mm).
- Mid rail height must be 525 mm. (i.e., 450mm to 600mm).
- This is a board placed parallel to the ledger and supported between the putlogs.
- Height must be 150 mm.
- It is provided to prevent fall loose material from the platform.
- It is a vertical pipe which is fitted with ledger, mid rail, and top rail.
- Minimum length of false upright should be 1.5 meter.
- It is works like a door or gate.
- Drop bar is fitted in false upright with swivel clamp.
- Gate size must be 1000mm*600mm.
- Polypropylene rope will be used for the lifting up and down the materials.
- Rope used for lifting will be 18mm to 20 mm in diameter.
- Tail rope should be 4.2 meter long.
- Check the rope before use.
- Pulley is used to move material from ground to top or top to ground.
- Safe working load of gin wheel or pulley is 250 kg, but maximum lifting is 25 kg.
- It is divided in to two parts:
- Ring type pulley.
- Hook type pulley.
- It is used for lifting clamps and other materials.
- Lifting capacity of bag is 25 kg.
- Check the lifting bag before use.
- Putlogs are the transverse pieces which are placed on the ledgers and which are supported on the wall at one end.
- They are at right angles to the wall.
This is a piece that is used to bridge an opening in a wall and it supports one end of the putlog of the opening.
Racker is the inclined support.
FAQs for Scaffolding parts?
What are the main parts of scaffolding?