Earthing Discharge Rods an insulated rods, usually made of strong fiberglass tubes with extension handles. Discharge Rod complete with accessories suitable for 11KV, 33KV, and 66KV system voltage for discharging dead conductors /busbars.
A discharge rod is a safety equipment used to ensure safety. Discharge roads are commonly known as earth rods. it is used for safety purposes like discharging the static charge while maintenance the high-tension transmission and low-tension transmission line, etc. Discharge rods are treated as life savers in the field of power transmission and distribution sectors.
Discharge rods prevent electric shock while repairing the HT and LT transmission line or transformer, etc. Discharge rods are telescopic type and you can extend up to 18 to 20 feet or more.
Table of Contents
Discharge rod safety tips:
1. The discharge rod shall be made from Glass Fibre Epoxy insulation manufactured through pultrusion process.
2. The Insulating Rod shall be light in weight and have high mechanical strength and good electrical properties.
3. The main rod and extension handles are provided with a snap pin with a spring to easily connect and remove the extension handles. The snap pins and spring shall be made from high-grade stainless steel to maintain its spring action for a long time.
4. The main insulated rod shall be provided with a safety rain guard/safety stopper for protection. The Safety stopper must be flexible type to avoid breakage in case the insulated rod is dropped.
5. The surface finish of the insulated rod must
- The clamp of the discharge rod is made up of cast aluminum or galvanized iron.
- 6 mm wire is connected to the discharge rod; the wire is connected to the earthing.
- A crocodile-type clamp is connected to discharge rod wire and the clamp is connected to the earthing.
- The size of the discharge rod up to 18 to 20 feet or more.
- Discharge rods are made up of FRP material i.e., fiberglass reinforced plastic.
Types of discharge rods:
- 11 KV discharge rod.
- 33 KV discharge rod.
- 66 KV discharge rod.
- 132 KV discharge rod.
- 220 KV discharge rod.
- 400 KV discharge rod, etc.
Discharge rod size:
The size of the discharge rod is 18 to 20 feet.
Personal protective equipment (PPE) required while using discharge rods:
- Safety shoes
- Safety gloves
- safety helmet
- safety belt etc.
Discharge rod uses:
Discharge Rod complete with accessories suitable for 11KV, 33KV, and 66KV system voltage for discharging dead conductors /busbars.
How to use the discharge rod?
Let us take an example use of a discharge rod while maintaining or repairing the HT (High tension) transmission line and LT (low tension) transmission line.
- Before using the discharge rod make sure that the shutdown process is done and there is no current flowing through the RYB. if you applied the discharge rod in live RYB then some hazards may occur, so apply the discharge rod after shutdown, and also remove the discharge rods after completing the repair work and then supply the current.
- Before applying the discharge rod create a safety zone i.e., while working near the roadside create a barrication so that the public never comes to you.
- In 3 3-phase transmission lines, 3 discharge rods are required for input to connect RYB, and 3 discharge rods are required for output also.
- After the discharge roads are connected the discharge rod wires are connected to the earthing.
- After that, use the neon tester to check if there is any current is available or not, if the neon tester shows no indication, then go for repairing work, basically neon tester detects whether current is available or not i.e., from very low to very high range.
- You can also use the discharge rods while repairing Transformers.
- While working on the transmission line if required discharge rods are not available then you can sort the input RYB by shutting the chain and connecting a discharge rod and shutting the output RYB and connecting a discharge rod. Then connect both discharge rods to the earthing.
Faqs on Discharge rod?
What is a discharge rod?
Discharge Rods an insulated rods, usually made of strong fiberglass tubes with extension handles. Discharge Rod complete with accessories suitable for 11KV, 33KV, and 66KV system voltage for discharging dead conductors /busbars.
How long is a discharge rod?
The size of the discharge rod is 18 to 20 feet.
What is the material of the discharge rod?
Discharge rods are made up of FRP material i.e., fiberglass reinforced plastic.
What is the size of the 25KV discharge rod cable?
The size of the 25KV discharge rod is 10 meters.
What is the weight of the discharge rod?
The weight of the discharge rod is approximately 5k.g.
What is the specification of the wire used in the discharge rod?
Normally 6 mm to 10 mm wire is used in the discharge rod.